ISO 45001:2018 specifies requirements for an occupational health and safety (OH&S) management system, and gives guidance for its use, to enable organizations to provide safe and healthy workplaces by preventing work-related injury and ill health, as well as by proactively improving its OH&S performance.
ISO 45001:2018 is applicable to any organization that wishes to establish, implement and maintain an OH&S management system to improve occupational health and safety, eliminate hazards and minimize OH&S risks (including system deficiencies), take advantage of OH&S opportunities, and address OH&S management system nonconformities associated with its activities.
ISO 45001:2018 helps an organization to achieve the intended outcomes of its OH&S management system. Consistent with the organization's OH&S policy, the intended outcomes of an OH&S management system include:
a) continual improvement of OH&S performance;
b) fulfilment of legal requirements and other requirements;
c) achievement of OH&S objectives.
ISO 45001:2018 is applicable to any organization regardless of its size, type and activities. It is applicable to the OH&S risks under the organization's control, taking into account factors such as the context in which the organization operates and the needs and expectations of its workers and other interested parties.
ISO 45001:2018 does not state specific criteria for OH&S performance, nor is it prescriptive about the design of an OH&S management system.
ISO 45001:2018 enables an organization, through its OH&S management system, to integrate other aspects of health and safety, such as worker wellness/wellbeing.
ISO 45001:2018 does not address issues such as product safety, property damage or environmental impacts, beyond the risks to workers and other relevant interested parties.
ISO 45001:2018 can be used in whole or in part to systematically improve occupational health and safety management. However, claims of conformity to this document are not acceptable unless all its requirements are incorporated into an organization's OH&S management system and fulfilled without exclusion.
Oxford Cert Universal Services
Certification - We can provide assessment and certification to OHSAS 18001 or integrated with ISO 14001 as HSE.
Training - that will help you understand how to implement OHSAS 18001 / HSE into your organisation.
International standard OHSAS 18001 (Occupational Health and Safety Assessment Series) systematizes your health and safety activities, helping you improve all related work processes.
Oxford Cert Universal remains as a recognised and highly respected worldwide organisation renowned for its approach and service quality. The well-qualified auditors work with clients to ensure the management systems are effectively maintained and continuously improved to meet customers' growing expectations.
Benefit from additional synergies by incorporating your occupational health and safety management system within an integrated management system strategy. For instance, combine your occupational health and safety with a quality management system, environmental protection certification or industry-specific standards
The experts at Oxford Cert Universal are on hand with a wealth of expertise and tactful advice to support you through the implementation of your own, individual occupational health and safety management system.
OHSAS 18001 Benefits
As a business, you have a considerable responsibility toward your employees’ health. Our occupational health and safety certification helps you prevent accidents and minimize downtimes and liability risks.
Implementing an effective occupational health and safety management system reduces the risk of harm to your employees and other personnel and reduces overall liability.
The main drivers for organizations to implement an occupational health and safety management system and seek certification are:
• Demonstration of responsibility towards employees, other workers and the public
• An effective framework for regulatory compliance
• Contractual obligations or expectations in a business-to-business relationship
• Improved operational control and reduced occurrence of ill health and injuries
• A competitive market advantage through enhanced image and increased stakeholder confidence
• Improve efficiency and consequently reduce accident and production time loss
Increase control and reduction of hazards through the setting of objectives, targets and evolved responsibility
• Demonstrate your commitment to the protection of staff, property and plant
• Increase your reputation for safety and occupational health
Reduce insurance premiums
• Is an integral part of a sustainability strategy
• Encourage more effective internal and external communication
Certification of your occupational health and safety management system by Oxford Cert Universal provides assurance to employees and the market of your effective management of occupational health and safety risks and legal compliance.
Oxford Cert Universal experience of occupational health and safety management and certification of management systems is extensive.
Occupational health and safety management system certification may be combined with certification to other management system standards, e.g. ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
More and more organisations are concerned about demonstrating their commitment to Occupational Health & Safety. This is crucial for employees, but also for customers and. In addition, stricter legislation demands that organisations show a clear, pro-active commitment towards health and safety. Clients and employees want proof of this up-front, in addition to being assured that an organisation will continue to meet their needs now and in the long term. This is a challenge but also an opportunity for organisations to reduce risk and provide a safer working environment.
The OHSAS 18001 certification enables you to demonstrate your commitment to occupational health and safety, as well as continuously improve your corporate image.
OHSAS 18001 certification can positively improve the efficiency of internal operations and consequently reduce accidents, danger and downtime. Employee safety and the quality of the working environment are actively improved because objectives and responsibilities are made clearer and all employees are prepared to effectively deal with any future hazards. OHSAS 18001 ensures compliance with current legal requirements, reducing the risk of penalties or possible litigation.
Your OHSAS 18001 certification from Oxford enables you to demonstrate high levels of occupational health and safety when bidding for international contracts, expanding locally to accommodate new business, or negotiating insurance premiums.
Regular assessments performed by Oxford helps you to continually use, monitor and improve your Occupational Health & Safety Management Systems and related processes. This improves the reliability of your internal operations to meet customer requirements, as well as overall performance. You may also gain a significant improvement in staff motivation, commitment and understanding of their responsibility in helping ensure workplace safety.
The OHSAS specification is applicable to any organisation that wishes to:
• Establish an OH&S management system to eliminate or minimise risk to employees and other interested parties who may be exposed to activities with OH&S risks
• Assure compliance with its own OH&S policy
• Demonstrate such compliance to the stakeholders
• Implement, maintain and continually improve an OH&S management system
• Make a self-determination and declaration of compliance with this OHSAS specification
• Seek third party independent certification of its OH&S management system
An OHSAS 18000 audit assists in a variety of business respects. It helps to minimise risk to employees and other interested parties; improve an existing OH&S management system; demonstrate diligence; gain assurance; among others.
The Occupational Health and Safety Management System supportsorganisations to create a culture of safety and maintain business sustainability.
OHSAS 18001 certification from Oxford Cert Universal allows you to:
• Increase employees’ safety awareness and motivation
• Ensure that you fulfill statutory and official health and safety requirements
• Prevent accidents
• Reduce downtime and disruptions to production
• Reduce insurance costs
• Improve your reputation with clients, suppliers, authorities, and investors as a safe and reliable business
• Internationally recognised and accepted standard
• Easily assessed with existing management systems
• Skilled auditors who are trained for various systems
• Consistency in audit methodology
• Duplication of similar elements of each standard is avoided
• Reduce risks - it can contribute to a healthier working environment and help reduce accidents, employee illness and lost time.
• Improved staff morale - it can help support improved staff morale and offers potential reductions in liability claims and lower insurance premiums.
• Credibility - your organisation can benefit from increased credibility by having an OHS management system independently assessed.
• Supplier of choice - it lets you work with companies where certification to OHSAS 18001 is a contractual requirement.
• Reduction in accidents by way of systematization of all activities relevant to occupational health and safety
• Legal certainty due to adherence to all applicable statutory requirements
• Improved employee identification and motivation due to management involvement in OH&S processes
• Improved image and competitive ability by way of documented, sustained OHSAS performance
Using OHSAS 18001:2007 as a framework to manage and reduce the risks associated with health and safety can lead to:
• Reduction in the number of accidents
• Less a enteism
• Reduction in downtime and associated costs
• Lower insurance premiums
• Higher productivity
• Improved business performance
• Improved management of health and safety risks
• Improved reputation
• More engagement with top management
• Improved compliance with legislation
• Lower risk of prosecution and fines
• Integration with existing management systems
• More innovation
In a competitive marketplace, your customers are looking for more than just keen pricing from their suppliers. Companies need to demonstrate that their businesses are managed efficiently and responsibly and that they can provide a reliable service without excessive downtime caused by work-related accidents and incidents.
Certifying your OHSAS 18001 management system enables your organization to prove that it conforms to the specification and provides the following benefits:
• Demonstration of legal and regulatory compliance
• Demonstration to stakeholders of your commitment to health and safety
• Demonstration of an innovative and forward thinking approach
• Increased access to new customers and business partners
• Better management of health and safety risks, now and in the future
• Improved reputation and brand image also providing competitive advantage
• Assurance of continued compliance and avoidance of lapses into bad practices
• Focus on continual improvement in occupational health and safety performance
About OHSAS 18001: Occupational Health and Safety Management System
Organizations of all kinds are increasingly concerned about achieving and demonstrating sound Occupational Health and Safety performance to their shareholders, employees, clients and other stakeholders by managing the hazards and improving the beneficial effects of their activities, products and services.
Increasingly, stringent legislation, the development of economic policies, human resources management and other measures are used to foster Occupational Health and Safety protection and welfare. A general growth of concern from stakeholders and other interested parties suggests a clear commitment to Occupational Health and Safety is required.
OHSAS 18001 is an international standard giving requirements related to Health and Safety Management Systems.
It enables an organization to have control over, and knowledge of, all relevant hazards resulting from normal operations and abnormal situations, and improve its performance.
Health and safety at work is an issue affecting all organizations and implementing an occupational health and safety management system is a legal requirement in many countries. Additionally, organizations are increasingly required to report their health and safety performance.
A certified occupational health and safety management system shows both commitment to the health and safety of employees and provides assurance to customers and management that legal compliance is effectively managed.
Expectations towards organizations to manage their occupational health and safety risks and improving performance are growing. Legal requirements are gaining in complexity with authorities, customers and employee representatives increasingly demanding demonstration of acceptable health and safety performance and improvement.
Occupational health and safety management systems take a systematic approach to minimizing health and safety risks and implementing related policies. They provide a framework for an organization to manage its legal compliance and improve occupational health and safety performance, including risk and opportunity identification, analysis, target setting, and measurement.
Although many countries have their own occupational health and safety legislation many organizations see the benefit of implementing an international standard providing a common framework for good management practices which is valid across the borders. OHSAS 18001 is the most common and globally recognized standard for occupational health and safety management systems and is applicable to any organization in any business sector.
OHSAS 18001 is a standard for Occupational Health & Safety (OHS) Management Systems jointly developed by a number of international third party certification bodies, national standards bodies, and other interested parties. It enables organisations to manage operational risks and improve performance. It also provides guidance on how to manage the health and safety aspects of your business activities more effectively, while taking into careful consideration accident prevention, risk reduction and the well-being of employees.
OHSAS 18001 is a standard used for an occupational health and safety management system, which enables an organisation to control its risks and improve its performance in this area. The standard provides a systematic approach to identifying hazards, and then either eliminates or reducing the risks of the hazards.
Occupational health and safety management systems (OH&SMS) are gaining in significance. More and more, they are being included in the central management tasks of the organization. With their integrated approach, they go far beyond the aspects of accident prevention and become the key for guaranteeing operational value-adding processes.
OHSAS 18001 is the internationally recognized assessment specification for occupational health and safety management systems written such that it can be assessed against to give the assurance demanded by stakeholders. The standard promotes a safe and healthy working environment by providing a framework that allows an organization to consistently identify and control its health and safety risks, reduce the potential for accidents, aid legislative compliance and improve overall performance.
In following the Plan-Do-Check-Act approach of many management system standards, OHSAS 18001 has been designed to be compatible with ISO 9001 (Quality) and ISO 14001 (Environmental), to help your organization meet their health and safety obligations in an efficient manner.
The following key areas are addressed by OHSAS 18001:
• Planning for hazard identification, risk assessment and risk control
• OHSAS management programme
• Structure and responsibility
• Training, awareness and competence
• Consultation and communication
• Operational control
• Emergency preparedness and response
• Performance measuring, monitoring and improvement
The standard´s compatibility with ISO 9001 (quality management) and ISO 14001 (environmental management) significantly facilitates implementation and certification of integrated management systems, thus allowing for the use of synergies. Integrated management systems of this kind are fundamental tools of corporate management; their use demonstrates acceptance of responsibility - for the good of mankind, society, and each organization.
The 2007 version of OHSAS 18001 gives greater emphasis on preventive and long-term health maintenance.
This standard provides a systematic approach to identifying health and safety hazards, and then either eliminating the hazards or reducing their risks.
OHSAS 18001 can be adopted by any organization wishing to implement a formal procedure to reduce the risks associated with health and safety in the working environment for employees, customers and the general public.
OHSAS 18000 is an international occupational health and safety management system specification. The specification is comprised of two parts, 18001 and 18002, and embraces 8800 and a number of other publications.
The standard follows the structure of ISO 14001, requiring top-level commitment to compliance with legislation, prevention of accidents, promotion of good health and continual improvement.
All types of organisations can use OHSAS 18001. You need to achieve certification to this standard if you want to work with companies where it is a contractual requirement.